- BECOMING A FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE WOW! SOCIETY OR
- ADOPTING YOUR OWN JAJF FAMILY BY SPONSORING A FULL WOW! EXPERIENCE.
A walk down memory lane highlighting the first 10 years of WOW! After reading the PROSPECTUS, here’s how you can help:
Please consider joining the JAJF WOW! Society:
Join the JAJF WOW! Society with a five year commitment
WOW! WOW! Investors $15,000 a year
WOW! Investors $10,000 a year
Memorable Partners $6,000 a year
Smile Benefactors $3,000 a year
You, and each of our supporters, understand when a young Mom or Dad has cancer, so do their children. From day one, you appreciated these children who are facing the imminent loss of their Moms and Dads deserve a chance to spend positive, fun time together as a family… while they can.
Here are highlights, notes and tangible reasons to invest in JAJF:
- The creation of JAJF
- The mission and purpose of JAJF
- JAJF First Family 2006
- The best way to reflect on JAJF’s first ten years is to visit The Appreciation Archives. Please listen to a few brief uplifting, aspirational voice messages from the families who embody the theme, soul and importance of JAJF. Scan the multitude of poignant and powerful letters and notes from these young parents and their children over the past decade. This underscores why Oncologists prescribe JAJF as part of the treatment protocol (this is powerful – and real—see a few examples from the full archives below in the appendix).
- See the JAJF Family Photo Gallery and enjoy a few of the thousands of sweet family photos. There is no cancer in these images. Smile as you see the smiles and happy moments each JAJF family enjoyed on their WOW! Experience. It is sweet, yet bittersweet when you realize the Moms and Dads are gone. The children, however, will always have the cherished positive memories. The smiles say it all. (please see a few pictures in the appendix below…just some of the miles of smiles the past ten years)
- For oncologists across the United States to prescribe JAJF as part of the treatment protocol is extraordinary. For Oncologists to validate the medicinal impact JAJF is having on these young late stage Dads and Moms and their children…on the family together is remarkable.
- The most often way JAJF is praised: THERE IS NO BLACK HOLE. We know where our financial support goes. We see it, hear it, feel it and experience the measurable, meaningful impact.
- Very special thanks to Mike Leven and Bernie Marcus (real dolFANS of JAJF—sorry!). JAJF’s first family enjoyed their WOW! Experience® at the fabulous Georgia Aquarium. Talk about the best part of memories is making them. The Georgia Aquarium has hosted many families over the years and continues to do so. The third brief video above will also touch your heart. It is where it all started ten years ago. Mike, Bernie, Billi and the team: you are wonderful and we are so very grateful for your continued support.
- A few years ago, we introduced an Annual Report. It is unlike any other report you’ve perused. It’s nickname: The SMILE BOOK. It showcases the smiles and sheer gratitude, joy and relief of just twelve of all our families (your families) we treated that calendar year. It is simple, a quick flip, yet most powerful. Our supporters love it each year and it clearly is the best way to say THANK YOU. Our thanks to our outstanding and talented partner Shutterfly for making it possible.
- Every member of the WOW! SOCIETY receives their own Annual Report/Smile Book as does everyone who sponsors a full WOW! Experience.
- When you hear the families reflect on the sadness they face yet also reveal the profound and important impact JAJF has on the patient, the care giving spouse and the children (the family together)—when you see the pictures, smiles, relief, the joy of families living in the moment, we all take pride in knowing we’re doing the right thing.
- We look forward to you having a “library” of your own JAJF annual reports (“Smile Books”) through the years reflecting on the measurable and meaningful impact you and our other Benefactors are having. As you’ve already heard us say, and no doubt will hear again, the best way to truly say thank you is by sharing the smiles…and the sheer gratitude, joy and relief of these sweet families…your families. After ten years, family after family it can’t be more tangible….and rewarding personally. THE SMILES SAY IT ALL!
- Jon was invited recently to speak at another cancer symposium. This statement from a fellow presenter Ronald DePinho, President of MD Anderson Cancer Center (one of the members of our Coalition who prescribes families to JAJF) clearly echoes what you would hear from any cancer center, and summarizes the important need for JAJF:
- “Cancer will claim 100 million lives in the next decade.” “Every family will be touched by cancer” He goes on to say “we can’t let cancer (this war) continue to rob us of our loved ones.”
- Or, as we at JAJF add, we can’t continue to have children face the imminent loss of their young Moms and Dads.
- The national oncology community is in agreement sadly with this sobering reality underscoring the important national need for JAJF.
- Cancer is the great equalizer. The reality is cancer indiscriminately strikes entertainers, actors, All-Stars, Senators, CEO’s and average Joes. Family time together is also a universal common denominator.
- JAJF will continue to treat the families as well as the cancer… all across the United States.
- Adopt (sponsor) and fully fund your own JAJF family for $1500. Historically, after ten years, the average cost out of pocket to JAJF to treat a family of say 5 or 6 to a full WOW! Experience is just under $1500. We fully leverage our in-kind support and cover everything from driveway to driveway.
- Make a donation to support JAJF in honor or memory of someone and we will notify the recipient of the donation on your behalf.
The GIFT OF TIME:
Many this year are asking their family and friends to help a late stage family spend time together…in lieu of a few extra gifts. Please consider sending a brief holiday note asking to give the gift of time and cherished memories to children who are facing the imminent loss of their Mom or Dad. Adopt your own JAJF family or join together as a family consortium to become a Founding member of the WOW! Society.
Jill Albert passed away a week before Thanksgiving 2006… a time typically devoted to family. May you enjoy a fun filled family Thanksgiving this year as we all give thanks for the precious gift of family memories.
In the coming weeks, please stay tuned for a special ten year celebration tribute video. And, as you share JAJF with others, please share these videos that give you a peek inside our work every day:
- CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood Holiday Cover Story on JAJF
- TODAY SHOW features JAJF Treating the families; not the cancer®
- NBC Sunday Night Football features JAJF Thanksgiving weekend
- JAJF Retrospective
- Sanjay Gupta interviews Jon Albert…a true holiday gift
- JAJF tribute: Better Together by Jack Johnson
- Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw
- Sarasota Florida WOW!
- Hurry Up and Live featuring JAJF families across the country
A couple examples from the Appreciation Archives and the Family Photo Gallery. It would take you an hour or more to go through the entire Archives and Gallery: From our Dec Board mtg. 2008: I just spoke w/ another family from Louisiana we recently treated to their WOW!; their timeout from their woes. Mom, late stage breast cancer, her young husband and their two adorable children 11 and 3 Gus and Helen. As they prepare for their final Christmas together, she told me her 11 year old wondered “if Heaven would be as pretty as the clouds they were flying through and as fun as Disney was”. As Susan and Gary thanked me, he acknowledged and confirmed JAJF’s purpose: “The best part of memories is making them”. Susan replied: “And, memories do become our greatest inheritance.” Bittersweet, yet very, very sweet
Dear Heidi and Jon, 1-9-10
We received the memory book today, and considering how my sister, Gabriela has deteriorated, I can’t even begin to tell you how grateful we were to have these precious memories. We opened the album and shared it with her and it brought tears of joy. She has had so much pain and difficulty talking and eating that we could tell how she was overtaken by emotion. We were all overwhelmed. It truly was the last time she was able to do something active with her children. Once again thank you for these wonderful memories. We converted this last family picture into a greeting for our family and friends. It has served as a special and important way to share our love and memories one final time. Gabriela is now in hospice care and things are taking a turn for the worse. She has said good bye to her children. I am so grateful to Cedars Sinai Cancer Center for having put us in touch with you and your remarkable, kind and well run organization. We, my entire family, want to thank every single person who helped make this vacation possible and so smooth. I can’t say enough thank you to show my true gratitude. You have given us a gift that will always be with us. The gift of time, the gift of living, the gift of sweet, positive memories together, the gift of comfort and joy for Gabriela when she needed it most, the gift of a smile in the face of despair. What a gift for the children.
With gratitude always,
(Gabriela Lopez’s sister)